Skip to main content

Wherefore art thou?

A Kevin, stumbles upon 'Art'. What is it one asks? Well, let us explore it.

Greetings art fanatics, art admirers, and fellow classmates of the world of art. My name is Kevin Huo, I am currently an undergraduate studying here at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. I am majoring in Anthropology and Political Science. To past time I rather enjoy the little things from tuning in to KSUA 91.5 FM Fairbanks student radio, writing a multi-page memo on the Arctic for U.S. State Department, or even catching the local double-diamond ski run with some friends. Indeed, these may not be small. But, the task at hand for this 'exploration in art' goes far beyond. 

 It is quite peculiar that throughout my life from being a youngster in California, attending university in Alaska, and now taking this course there is a common thread for which time and time again I come across 'art'. At a younger age, I once drew with admiration of my surrounding environment, winning art contests left and right. There was once an award winning piece that even took me as far as the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. to receive an award. Another time, a drawing of mine won grand prize and was wrapped around a local transit bus. I am not kidding, in the actual dimensions of the bus, expanded and wrapped. (See photo!) Others may see my past art and consider me as an 'artist', which I appreciate. But, truth to be told art is a continual exploration of ones self and their perception of the world. I enjoy wandering through a museum, marveling at local art-shows, and most importantly struggling to find the meaning of life that we are all pursuing. 

Artwork by Hawk and Poe (Kevin Huo / Franck Chen)
When asked what appeals to me the most, I humbly turn towards my own work. Recently, I had a unique opportunity to collaborate with a colleague of mine in Taiwan. Both my colleague and I under the names Hawk and Poe showcased our combined creative 'multi-media' piece at the Greater Taipei Biennale with this years theme 'Authentic World'. Bringing together images and spoken word our 'multi-media' display attracts the attention of the audience to ponder the difference between the fantasies of our words and the realities of our images. Please see images:


Spoken/Written was displayed through audio and visual

Imagery portrays the 'reality' that is 'lived'

I once came across artist Vik Muniz, an insightful artist who uses recycled materials from a endless trash site to create portraits of those who work in those fields. Muniz inspires us the audience to dream beyond 'art' as a impression or perspective. Rather, that art can come from a simple everyday act and the mere recognition of it. Please view this video to inspired as I did by Muniz's work: 



Comments

  1. I love multi-media work. What amazes me is who much it ISN'T used by artists. I would love to have a digital display picture frame that contained animated art. I think that would be amazing, but sadly, I don't think anyone is doing that. Good for you for being able to travel because of your art. I have traveled widely with my music and look forward to more musical travels when Covid is under control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious as to why you and your friend chose to use pen names when submitting your art. Was it to avoid the public's prying eyes following your assured fame from them? Or was it to get an unbiased opinion from everyone on how your art affected them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the video of Vik Muniz. I find his philosophy on art extremely refreshing. I enjoy the perspective of removing art from its elitism. Not only was Vik inspired by the workers, he also made sure to benefit them as well. Art that pays tribute to their inspiration, especially in a societal and political way, makes the work that much more profound.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment